Thursday, January 15, 2009

Thomas' blog

The director of the University of Michigan Center for Entrepreneurship, Thomas Zurbuchen, posted the following on his blog (January 10th), answering the question, why do people continue to work at night? 

3) … because they would rather work than sleep

This is what this post is really about. Work is so captivating that sleep just does not make sense.

I have experienced periods like that on a number of occasions. I would rather work than sleep because I doing something extremely important or so exciting to me that I just cannot think of stopping now. It’s the potential of success that motivates beyond boundries – time seems to become irrelevant. It’s like flying – some other force is taking over. You can feel how your entire mind is starting to work in an entirely new way and with tremendous efficiency.

In my opinion, this can only happen if three conditions are met: there is a tremendous sense of purpose; there is a sense of empowerment; and there is an environment of success. I would never put in a lot of time if I don’t understand why I am doing this. I need to know that success depends on me or my team. But, I think the last piece is perhaps the most important. Gratitude or acknowledgments are crucial.   Sometimes a simple “thanks” or pat on the back, a mention in a meeting, a cup of coffee – success wants to be acknowledged, or it dies!

So, can we in fact judge the status of an engineering project by observing the parking lots at night?

Absolutely - go look at their parking lot at night, and go visit them in the middle of the night. You will know immediately whether the place is going somewhere!

*

As motivated young people, I'm sure that many of you identity with Thomas' post. I especially like the last line- "You will know immediately whether the place is going somewhere". So stay motivated, and remember your passions. No one can take that drive away from you, so maximize your potential, get out there, and kick it. 

Peace, Love, THE BEARON

*To read Thomas' blog, CLICK HERE

No comments: